Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Letter from a Heart Wearing Boy

I used to teach the 16 & 17 year olds in Sunday School and I became quite invested in their lives. It was long enough ago that 2 of my boys are on missions now (I think of them all as adopted kids for two reasons. #1 is that some of their moms are younger than me and #2 because they are such amazing kids and I'm so proud of them). While the Sacrament is being passed I try to help myself focus and so I write to “my missionaries”. Today when I got my writing stuff out Nathan asked if he could write to a missionary too. So I told him sure. He just picked one of the missionaries off the program and wrote a letter to him. In case you can't read it, this is what it says:
Dear Elder Wilkey,
My name is Nathan Hadley. I am 9 years old. I live in your home ward. I am in the fourth grade. My favorite subjects are science and technology.
I know that the Church is true. I know Heavenly Father and Jesus love me. I know Joseph Smith was a true prophet and that he restored the Church. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is our true prophet today.
I would like to thank you for going on a mission and being a good example to me and everyone else.
Sincerely,
Nathan
Is that not such a sweet and thoughtful letter? That boy wears his heart on his sleeve I tell you…but I wouldn't have him any other way! I love that kiddo!

No comments: